Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fragments/Slownight

-Yes, hello Kerre. Now, I have a solution for this dog problem.
-Go on.
-I carry just a little spray bottle of Janola. And if the dogs come up to you, you just spray them in the face with the Janola.
-Just straight Janola? Do you dilute it?
-No, no, just the Janola. And you spray him in the face with it, just, just spray him in the face with the Janola. When the dog attacks you.
-That sounds… a little extreme?
-No, no. so I just carry a spray bottle of Janola in my, in my purse and you spray the dog with the Janola if he attacks you.
…Right. Thanks Diane. Hello Jerry, how are you this evening?
-Thanks, ah, Kerre, Yeah, great thanks, how are you?
-I’m well, thank you.
-Ah great. Listen, now, I’m not a racist, I’m not a racist, by, ah, no means am I a racist.
-Ok.
-But ah, listen, you have to ask the question – these Maoris, what the bloody hell are they thinking keeping these dogs?
-Well, I’m not sure what they’re thinking. And I’m not sure that all the dog owners are Maori.
-Well, ah, perhaps not, but there’s a Maori family down the road from me and they’ve got some of those ah, bull-type dogs, those ah, what was it that attacked that girl?
-Um, pit-bull terrier.
-Yeah, couple of them. And listen, my kids are bloody scared of that house, they call it the ‘scary dog house’ and on their way home from school they run past it. They’ll run kerre, ‘cos they’re scared of the dogs.
-Ok.
-So you know, what are they bloody thinking?
-I’m not sure.
-Well, exactly. You know I wonder about this multi-culture business.
-How’s that?
-Well, I mean… we don’t keep dogs like that.
-…I wouldn’t say that the way animals are treated is, um, culturally specific. I can think of Pakeha families that have mistreated animals as well.
-Yes but, ah, you must wonder about this multi-cultural stuff. You know.
-No I don’t know.
-Well there’s a different way to ah, approach the work there.
-I’ve worked with some very industrious Pakeha, and I’ve worked with very lazy Pakeha. And right now I’m working with Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, Malay…
-Ah, but no Muslim!
-…uh, no not at the moment.
-Well, exactly.
-…ok. Thank you Jerry.
-Thanks Kerre.

No comments:

Post a Comment